Monday, September 5, 2011

Are the kids all right? They most certainly are...




Laser:  Why did you donate your sperm?
Paul:  Because it seemed more fun than donating blood.


The Kids are All Right is the story of a lesbian couple who conceived children using a sperm donor and the subsequent reactions and interactions that ensue when the kids decide they want to meet their "father".  The film was directed by Lisa Cholodenko and was written by Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg.  A stellar cast including Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and of course the kids Mia Wasikowska (that's a mouthful) and Josh Hutcherson rounds off an interesting plot worthy of an Oscar nod.  Should it have won?  We'll see.


What I liked about this movie is that it wasn't a film about lesbians - it was a movie about a family undergoing a massive change in their home dynamics.  It doesn't matter that Jules and Nic are lesbians, the idea that the kids wanted to meet their donor could happen to any family.  


While Brokeback Mountain was groundbreaking for portraying the struggle of a gay couple, The Kids are All Right is equally groundbreaking for portraying the struggles of a married couple - gay or straight doesn't really matter - every couple has the potential to face infidelity, and every family certainly has issues with teenage kids.  The story is about the family, Nic and Jules being gay is like an aside note, like Nic being a doctor or Jules being a landscaper and it is hopefully a sign of things to come in cinema where the plot of this film is no longer considered "tricky subject matter" (not my words) but just a great and heartwarming story.


I have yet to fault Annette Bening's acting and this movie is no exception (I think it may have a little bit to do with the fact that she is Mrs. Warren Beatty).  Her performance is so real and at times, it's actually painful to watch what she is going through.  Always having to be the sensible one, the breadwinner, the stricter parent, and to see her role in the family threatened by the arrival of Paul (especially when she learns of the affair) is heartbreaking. 


I'm also a fan of Julianne Moore and her performance is great - but I will admit that sometimes the character grated on my nerves.  I wanted to yell "Grow up!!" at several points in the film.  The character of Jules was at times a bit too cliche for my liking - this is perhaps best summed up in naming Josh Hutcherson's character Laser.  That just annoyed me and I didn't find it believable.  (I didn't think that Nic would have allowed it).  In saying that, I think Moore did a great job in showcasing Jules' frustration in life - and because I always become too engrossed in characters lives - I was happy that she was good at landscaping because it gave her a sense of worth that was grossly missing.


Mark Ruffalo - there are not enough words to explain my love for this man and his acting.  Versatility thy name is Ruffalo.  Much like Ryan Gosling's Dean in Blue Valentine, Mark Ruffalo's portrayal of Paul annoys me at times, but I think it proves what great actors both of these men are because I never thought annoyance was possible with them.  At times, I loved Paul and I wanted him to be part of the kids' lives, at other times, like with Jules I wanted to say grow up.  It was nothing to do with the acting, more the way the character is written.  Again, almost a too cliched Bohemian.  (It could be that Paul was just too cool for school and I was a little jealous - I'm undecided).  I feel bad for him too, because he bears the blame for the affair and when forgiveness is going around, he doesn't get any - and while I hate that he portrayed a cliche I'm going to use one here - it takes two to tango and Jules was a willing participant.  It was unfair that he was ousted from Joni and Laser's lives when Jules got to move back in.


I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D - it was ok.  It wasn't my favourite movie and I'll admit, I didn't leave a fan of Mia Wasikowska.  To me, that wasn't her breakout role - The Kids are All Right was.  It showcased her range and ability more than Alice did and now, I honestly can't wait to see what she does next.  I like that she chose this after such a big production, and I think with this movie she has written her own ticket to choose what she wants to do.  Joni had the potential to be flat and boring, with Laser being the star of the show but Wasikowska brought a depth to the character that combined a strength and vulnerability that translated onto the screen.  She had 50 million things to juggle - should she agree to Laser's wish to find their donor?  How to fit Paul into her life, how to exclude Paul from her life when she learns of the affair, the affair in general, going off to college and the list goes on.  Wasikowska provides some great work here, but I think the best is yet to come.


What can be said about Josh Hutcherson except that he had me bawling in Bridge to Terabithia and he impressed me beyond belief in this movie.  Like Wasikowska, I expect great things from this young 18 year old.  I loved the way he portrayed the struggle faced with letting Paul in.  The initial excitement at meeting him, and the disappointment when Paul didn't turn out to be what he expected.  I think it's interesting to note that while Laser is Jules' kid, like NicNic's daughter eats up Paul's lifestyle.  Food for thought.  Apart from his name, I can't fault Josh Hutcherson in any way.


I really enjoyed this film and have recommended it to as many people as possible.  I can without a shadow of a doubt confirm that yes, I believe an Oscar nod was deserved (as were the ones that Ruffalo and Bening received) but I will hold out judgement on whether it should have won until after I've reviewed all of the nominees.  If you want to see a film that deals with the delicate intricacies that make up family dynamics, this is one to watch - as are the careers of Wasikowska and Hutcherson.



No comments:

Post a Comment